Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Magazine Comparison

I chose to compare and contrast two beauty and fasion magazines, Allure and Bazaar. A similarity between these two magazines is that they use well-known celebrities for the main images, such as Demi Moore or Taylor Swift. Having these well-known celebrities as the main image on the covers, they also successfully state who is photographed for the main inage on every issue. Another similiarity is the name plate on the magazines, these magazines use large fonts that stand out. I notice that depending on the color of the main image, these magazines will change the color of the name plate to stand out. The difference between these magazines out number the similarities they have. Allure tends to have a close-up face shots for their main images with an unfocused and neutral backdrop. Along with that this magazine surrounds the featured celevrities face with headlines. I feel doing this can either highlight the main image or take away from it. Bazaar in contrast tends to have full-body shots for their main images, in some cases with landscape as a backdrop. The main images lean more toward the edgy side than commercial. Bazaar has very little headlines, one stating the name of the person posing for the cover and another stating the general focus of the issue. Also, Bazaar lets the main image take more importance over the name plate. Numerous times I noticed that Bazaar had one to three letters of its nameplate covered by the main image. Allure has its nameplate almost always covering the main image. Regardless of the differences and similarities between Bazaar and Allure they are both successful fashion and beauty magazines. Their covers stand out and attract the eye and interest. Lyndsay Moore

12 comments:

  1. Some spelling mistakes but good context.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the busyness of magazine covers such a allure, has always been a deterrent for me. I am a big fan of the clean look as in bazaar. also it's not everyday you get to pet a giraffe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love the cover on the left is simple clean and gorgeous the other is to close up for me it just look too busy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even realize it was Demi Moore, all I really paid attention to was the big giraffe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both cover's but I would go with the allure magazine because it tell's you before you even open the magazine up on what some of the important or highlighted area's in the book will be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right in the fact that each mag is playing off its background color to decide which nameplate color may stand out the most. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you picked the first magazine. This would draw my attention as no one could really pet a giraffe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good magazine choices. I definitely like the first one more because of its minimalist design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. to me the picture on the Bazzar seems more distracting to me,not sure if we are looking at the giraffe,the girl which you can barley see or the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like bazaars font on their nameplate better and the giraffe makes you look at the entire photo, while the other is very typical. But the font for their magazine works for them and what they are trying to sell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the Bazaar cover a lot. I think it's a little more abstract and seems like something from a dream. Allure looks a bit like the other "girlie" magazines out there. Bazaar draws a viewer in because it's different.

    ReplyDelete