Wednesday, February 23, 2011

VERES_Dreamscape Project




     For my dreamscape i chose a simple landscape with a center focal point, and then built off of that. When brainstorming for this project i knew i wanted something within a symmetrical realm. Yet, at the same time i wanted something dark an eire, with a odd center point of focus. Which is why i decided to really work in a lot of opacity within my objects. To obtain a dreary look i first adjusted my background.
  
     I darkened the background and then started adding my layers. Each image was adjusted to fit into the scene an look as natural a possible.  Since the bottom half of the horizon line was very dark to begin with, i wanted to follow that through with my objects, so they had a look of blending into the ground. I chose some stock imagery for the objects, and some of my own imagery to form the dreamscape piece.
 
    The largest of the objects is an image i had illustrated a while back. It was an old time photograph that had worn away in certain places. Back when i came across this photo i decided to fill in the rest of his face which was the main part that had deteriorated. So I gave him somewhat of a zombie look, just to have a little fun with it. When building this project i decided to dig up this image and use it as the outermost image, his old time sepia tone, and odd face, i felt made for a good fit. I then duplicated him an flipped him horizontally. The two images facing in add that much more focus to the focal point in the center of the dreamscape. As for the lions, and knives, those are stock images, along with that of the falling man silhouette.

    Each image is symmetrical and faces inward towards the center which is the only part that depicts and asymmetrical image. In the very center there is an image of a man falling off a windmill. Both the man an the windmill are silhouettes, which i love because it is subtle and doesn't get to graphic.
 
   Overall i wanted somewhat of a dark, nightmare themed dreamscape, mostly just to try and get myself to think outside the box.

15 comments:

  1. very cool. i hope all of your dreams aren't nightmares! It seems a bit plain, perhaps more color?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is cool for the symmetry of the overlaying images, and for the nitpicking I would suggest taking off the credit up top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your symmetry idea and the old time look. I'm assuming that image of the person is civil war time (maybe?), and I had an idea that it might be cool if you could find another civil war image, from the opposite side and like "zombify" it like you did to the one, and have them face each other, and maybe choose another animal to go with it instead of the lion and then you could do a whole civil war theme. Civil War Zombies. That would make an interesting movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this dreamscape! The photoshop you did on it is done really well and the picture is amazing with so many symbols, it really gets me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very neat concept. I like the way you played with the opacity. The only suggestion I have is to avoid overlapping the windmill with the lion's face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your idea. This looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you did a great job mirroring the image

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is awesome, you did a great job. I honestly wouldnt change anything except for the macdesktop.com in the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks pretty surreal. You stayed true to your theme. Not sure what you should change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was thinking it has cival war look to it,maybe a dream of the north vs. south looking at each other

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like the photo of the soldier very good...you could have some tiny tomb stones in the background

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool dreamscape and very well thought out. I really like the way you used opacity and overlaying images. I am reminded of Resident Evil - a little bit of a creepy vibe. Very well proportioned as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the comments everyone. I would have added more to this image but i feel that is where i made my mistake on the magazine project. So as for this image i wanted a cleaner image an to keep it less cluttered. Also i apologize for the macdesktop.com in the upper left hand corner, i honestly did not even notice it till it was much to late.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the symmetrical imagery! It gives the feeling of tension, especially in this darker setting. What I want to know is why? Why the lion? Lions have very strong symbolic reasoning. The Zombie dude, why? There should be narrative to this piece.

    Technically, you selected the images well. The print out is pixilated. Did you print the PDF? Did you make your document 11x 17 inches with a resolution of 300dpi?

    Great work critiquing your fellow classmates. You write well.

    ReplyDelete