Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ryan L - Dreamscape

San Francisco: Rise


If it has not been completely obvious, comic books are my thing. Specifically Green Lantern, and even more specifically the 2009 DC main event entitled Blackest Night. The story involves swarms of Black Lantern rings attaching themselves to the dead and turning them into “zombies” (and I say that in quotes because even though the Black Lanterns are undead, they feed on hearts that produce emotion instead of brains). I took the opening of the event where the Black Lantern rings first come to Earth as the primary inspiration for my dreamscape. The base image was a shot of the Golden Gate Bridge that I acquired from macdesktops.com, and from that I put an image of the moon in an imposing position in the empty space. After messing with levels and all the adjustments to darken the bridge scene as well as the moon, I then added the more important pieces. Using a picture of the Black Lantern ring that I wear, I fiddled with rotation and sizing to show the traveling of the rings, as well as adding dark smoke-like trails leading to the center of the symbol on the moon, which I designed based off of the resurrected fictional planet Xanshi in the book. The rings are a type of bio-computer, stating ‘FLESH’ as they search for the dead, and ‘RISE’ when they acquire a target, so I felt it appropriate to put those pieces from the comic into the image. Behind ‘RISE’ is Nekron, the self proclaimed embodiment of Death who is responsible for the rings creation and the entire Blackest Night. Flying away on the right of the shot is the reincarnated body of the superhero Deadman, wearing a costume that has been remodeled to show his membership in the Black Lantern Corps. That image was actually a picture I took from my figure collection. I also put a glow onto the face of the rings due to the fact that in the comic books, the rings produce light.


14 comments:

  1. i love the zombie - skeleton guy, but it seems a bit jumbled, perhaps a little more spread between objects?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty cool. Looks like you got your point across really well. I like the placement of the symbol on the moon. The streaks following the rings I think could use some work, but I wouldn't know how to really change them, so I can't offer much more input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool dreamscape. I like what you did with the picture turning it darker to blacks but i'm not loving the objects over the bridge, to me it looks strange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent idea, very well done. I think you did a very good job with the smoke trails and the sense of depth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like too much is going on. I do love the background though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love dark and creepy but its alittle jumbled together and hard to distinctly see everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the transparent character coming at you in the center of the image. Also the change from colors to dark colors made to vibe of the image. Neat inspiration. Possibly your additions to the image could have been incorporated better with the background image.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the glow. It's interesting to look at. The streaks might be a little too distracting though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it seams a little dark, but does fit with the effect you were going after

    ReplyDelete
  11. i would add some yellow or something so it pops off against the gray/black...but I like the background color and the images...you just need something to pop

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool. It has a morbid and even a little bit apocolypse look to it. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lot of cool stuff going on in this image. Love the dark feel, i can appreciate that lol. also you stayed true to your comic book roots. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a very dark piece. I like the concept of zombies- I wish that half the dreamscape was before the zombies took over and the other half was the aftermath. I love the original picture of the golden gate bridge. The word “flesh” repeating is a bit repetitious- if it is because of that being potential targets, maybe we should have a sniper symbol or “x” to show this. The word FLESH is pixilated?

    ReplyDelete