Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tony Russo - DreamScape Project





The original picture is of a aquarium in Georgia. When trying to start the project, I could not figure out where to go with it, so decided why not....Dreams! There was a period where I was having dreams that always had a fish tank or two with colorful fish inside. I found the aquarium pic and was happy. I had a dream recently where I was being smothered and saw the character from a comic book called “Concrete” standing over me. You can probably tell which image that is. I used the liquify tool on some background areas – We can all relate to some dreams being distorted and “weird” many or most of the time. The muscle body running represents when we feel like we are moving or can't move in our dreams. You can see thru him to some fish – he's there but than he's not. The silhouette in the doorway represents times when I can remember thinking in my dream how I can wake up if I need to and step out of anything unpleasant. The television in the left corner reminds me of dreams where we seem to be watching a group of people or a situation but do not play a role in the scene. The T.V. Screen is a image of the Vietnam War. I had dream one time that I was in Vietnam. When I tried to shoot, my gun was really a water gun – the kind that had batteries in it. The car represents dreams I had where I was driving an old Honda accord for a while. The sunflower represents those times when we wake up and think, “What the heck was that about?” - How can a sunflower grow in the ocean? There is a faint image of a train wreck, probably in the late 1800's. That represents those dreams that seem to barrel out of control. The twin bed is there just because.

14 comments:

  1. I like your explanation for everything, and especially putting Concrete in there. One thing I would change is to make the doorway look more like, well, a doorway, because to me it just looks like a clashing white block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. or maybe try to add like a ray effect to the door to give it depth. otherwise this is very salvador dali like and very dreamy! nice job. it's funny how you bring up the dream about shooting a gun and it being a water gun. i have dreams like that as well where the gun will shoot, but the bullet will just fall out onto the floor, or have you ever had the one where you were in a fight and your punches were ineffective? it's kind of along the same lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good dream set-up. I also usually have really bizarre dreams. I might also change the door up, and maybe move the train wreck image or make just a tad darker so it's easier to pick up on, though maybe it looks different in print or when it is full size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. I like that you warped parts of it. That helps give it even more of an underwater or dreamlike quality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your idea behind everything you put in, you can tell you thought hard about this project. I'm not a fan of the white picture because everything blends so good but that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the flower in this but the cut out of the white person just throws everything off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how you distorted the objects, it gives them a more, floating around in the ocean, look. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very different and dreamy. Great inspiration, I understand your view on everything. I have to agree with every one with the doorway because it doesnt mesh very well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how the images are warped to make it look like they're underwater. I agree with the others about the white door not fitting in as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The warped effect is nice and adds to the picture, but the door could use some more work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i liked the photo of the person opening the door...it feels like something in a dream...the tv at the bottom is really good...maybe add a different car like one with headlights on

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like how this all goes together. The only thing that is a little odd is the cut out of the person. But good job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the aquatic feel. Each element also has its own personality. Like how you warped some of the images

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really interesting composition! I like all the symbolism used. Technically I see some pixels on the man in the door, bed and car. The yellow flower and the purple bed are the focal point of the composition. Why is that? (answer, because they are contrasting colors. I really like the old tv, but think we should give it the blue tint of the water.. The whole concept of having the old car and old tv underwater is very symbolically strong. Again we to have a bit of consistency with colors and tints.

    Well done critiquing your classmates- you give each thought and good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete