Thursday, February 24, 2011

Warning: Katie's Dreamscape. Weirdness Afoot





For my dreamscape, I tried be as literal as I could, while throwing in a thing or two that I felt just represented some aspects of me. The background is a photo I took recently when I went down to Ringing Rocks Park. If you have not been there by the way, I recommend going, and remember to take a hammer with you so that you can actually ring the rocks. Before I go any further though, I must clarify that I have really... REALLY, strange dreams. They are distinctly amalgamations of everything and/or anything that I came across, saw, read, or whatever during the course of the day or previous days. If something seems really unusual, that’s probably why. I’ll start by breaking down some of the major things.

On the left side you’ll see a ninja slicing a large round wheel of gouda. This is actually from a dream of mine (I told you they were weird). It stands out in my mind as one of the most unusual dreams I have ever had and remembered. To make it even weirder, in my dream I was actually in a German restaurant while there was karaoke going on, but opted to leave that out. I somehow doubt that ninjas use their swords to slice up cheese.

The dinosaur you see in the background is a Tyrannosaurus Rex from the movie “Jurassic Park.” When I was a little kid this was one of my favorite movies. I was very much a tom-boy and had an obsession with dinosaurs. It’s placement towards the back is to reflect that it was a more prominent trait in my past, though the movie still sticks with me as one I still enjoy, and also that it was milestone in terms of effects in the film industry.

In the center to right you’ll see me sitting at a table looking deep in thought. I am one of those people that is always thinking about everything. My brain never really stops running. I’m always wondering about my future, my job, love life, friends, daydreams, etc. Sometimes these things can upset or worry me. However, if you notice in the image there is a faint hand on my shoulder. That is to represent my dad who passed away somewhat recently. I miss him greatly but I like to think that he is always there just over my shoulder.

The stately looking fellow that I am at the table with is known as Gentlemen Cho’Gath. He is a character from an online computer game that one of my friends had me playing. We were joking the one day about how strange my dreams are and somehow it came up that I would probably dream about having lunch with Cho’Gath, so I had to put him in here for funsies. Now what is neat about the game is that every time the creators make a new character, they post an “art spotlight” on them. These art spotlights are actually recordings of the person at the studio that actually created the artwork, like the Cho’Gath image, in Adobe Illustrator. These are actually really neat to watch especially since we will be using Illustrator later, and I find it kind of inspiring watch these being created.

There are a few other objects in the image you might notice as well. The Rubik’s cube in the corner represents my fondness for puzzles, trivia, and solving things in general (I have never solved a Rubik’s cube properly though). The LoLcat is just that. I am a dork, and the cat macros crack me up. I can spend hours on icanhascheezburger.com. That is no moon in the upper left corner, but the Deathstar. I was very close to my older brothers, and often watched whatever they were watching, which includes Star Wars. Yes, I am that dorky, but it’s what I grew up with and a common link with my brothers. On the right there is a tiny image of me with little broken hearts around it. This is supposed to be my sad luck in love, but is something I usually keep to myself about. There is a rose on the table that is meant to represent how I am actually quite traditional when it comes to romance, and really appreciate all the silly sappy things that people do sometimes and are often taken for granted. At the top of the photo there is a shadowy image of me which is positioned to be show that all of this stuff is just stuff in my head. As for the baby penguins, I have a soft spot for animals, especially cute fluffy baby ones. I have been that way my entire life. Also, who doesn’t love baby penguins?

My dreams can truly be a surreal place, especially when all of these parts of my being come together into one giant lump.

15 comments:

  1. I love it! You did a great job with the shadows and layering. I also really like the transparent version of you floating upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it the second i saw the LoL character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! you put so much work into this and it looks really good!! All the shadowing on it makes it look real

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you put all the shadows on this it makes it look much better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome...and for some reason this scene reminds me of the new alice in wonderland movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been to ringing rocks, I love it there and also recommend everyone else to go. You expressed yourself very well in the dreamscape. Very fun image, good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the transparent image of you and I can see the effort you put into this. I like how you incorporated everything from your personal life and dreams into this dreamscape. The only thing to consider would be maybe making the background and the images more compatible in color just because the trees kind of look dead compared to everything else but maybe you wanted it that way. Overall it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks good and I like how you actually reference your dreams in your ideas with this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, not weird at all, you obviously spent alot of time on this. the only thing you could have added maybe is a funky color pattern with the opacity taken down for even more dreamy effect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like your about to fight that cat...the ninja cutting the cheese haha...i liked your self on the top of the screen where you are faded...you should have put a ninja scarf on your head

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dreams are usually weird, there actually "weird" if they are "normal". Very cool how you explained your dreams along with each image. You definitely put a lot of thought into your project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great. I like how you refrence you dreams to your work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great piece. i wish you would have made the picture blend a little better

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool image, so much to look at. Good to see you had fun with it. Also love the background image and how some of your images play off of the space within it. For example the T-Rex hidden in the background is a nice element.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great write up! Dreams are very surreal! I like how you thought about the shadows on each object this makes it more realistic. I find some of the shadows a bit TOO harsh on the snow.. Maybe we could have played around with some reflections. I agree with Jamell that we could have the elements blend a little better. Ie, all images have the same tint and lighting.

    Great critiquing on your classmates work.

    ReplyDelete