Friday, April 29, 2011

Walt Disney Concert Hall

Walt Disney Concert Hall

The Walt Disney Concert Hall is located in downtown Los Angeles and it seats over two thousand people. The cost of this design was nearly 300 million dollars and it was completed in 2003.

I was attracted to this building because of its space age design. It seems like the more I try to figure out what it is the more it baffles me. Maybe this was Gehry’s intention, to keep people talking and wondering.

As a sound guy I can’t help but wonder how this design stands up sound-wise. I was always taught that octagon shapes work best with sound waves but this building is not exactly an octagon. I pretty sure all the weird corners create tons of standing wave and the reflective steel finish doesn’t help.

I’m not really sure what could inspire a person to create such a building for a concert hall. It literary looks like a piece of abstract art. I think it’s genius, but I also think it a bit much for a concert hall. Seems like something as futuristic as this would be more fitting for a science museum or something along those lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment